Pikes Peak Radio Amateur Association Forums
Don't forget to log in to have full access to your club's forums or other special forums.

If you are a member of any Rocky Mountain area Ham Clubs, let me know and I can create dedicated forums for your club.

PPRAA meets each second Wednesday. For the rest of 2012, we will meet at the Powers iHop (located at the corner of Powers Blvd and Stetson Hills). There will be Megafest Planning at 6pm, and the general meeting at 7pm. Megafest raffle tickets are now available!!! Check the website for more details: www.ppraa.org

2011 VE Testing/License Training

Go down

2011 VE Testing/License Training Empty 2011 VE Testing/License Training

Post by K0SDD-Stephen on Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:51 am

PPRAA VE Testing Session Info

For the latest VE Testing info, visit the the PPRAA website: (http://www.ppraa.org/ve.php)

2011 VE Test Sessions:
Saturday, 12 February 2011
Saturday, 9 April 2011
Saturday, 11 June 2011
Saturday, 13 August 2011
Saturday, 8 October 2011
Saturday, 10 December 2011

All the Details:

We sponsor VE testing sessions at least six times a year. The sessions are held on the second Saturday of even numbered months at 9:00 AM. Usually, the swapfest session will be at 10:00 AM and replaces the normal June session. The cost is $15.00 per test session. This includes any tests that you want to take at that session. Contact Jackie Cornwell (ve at ppraa dot org), ACØCA, for more details. Pre-registration is not required, but a quick note to let us know you'll likely attend is appreciated.

Located at:

Google Map link: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=4435+North+Chestnut+80907&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=49.089956,78.75&ie=UTF8&z=16&iwloc=addr

Colorado Technical University
4435 North Chestnut
Colorado Springs, CO 80907

Other testing sessions may be held during the year in support of other events such as amateur radio classes and the annual PPRAA MegaFest (07/16/2011). Please contact Jackie Cornwell, ACØCA, if you have questions about that session.

What You Need at the Test Session:
When you come to our test session, you'll be greeted by at least three smiling amateurs ready to help you take that step into the world of amateur radio. But before you can take the test, you'll need a few things:

A photo identification card. The ARRL says we can't take someone vouching for a candidate. Any picture ID (such as school) is OK. Instead of a picture ID, we can accept two forms of non-picture ID such as a report card, utility bill, or even some sort of business correspondence with the person's name and address on it.

Your Social Security Number if you are going for a first license, OR you must provide your FRN (FCC Registration Number) if you are already licensed.

Your original AND a copy of any current amateur radio license you already have. If you're testing for a brand new license, obviously don't worry about this requirement.

Your original AND a copy of any current Certificate of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE) not already reflected on a valid license, within 365 days of issue date.

$15.00 cash or check. Please make checks out to ARRL/VEC.

A simple calculator, or a slide rule if you prefer. There is some math on these tests, and it is recommended that you bring a calculator to avoid any math errors. Bring a non-programmable calculator, or be prepared to erase the memory.

What's Your Call?

Have you already tested? Are you just waiting for the good news? Well, you can be checking every day to see if your call has been issued. With Saturday test sessions, we have had the results posted as early as the following Tuesday night, but it is more typically Wednesday or Thursday - sometimes longer, depending on workload at the ARRL/VEC. Remember with the current FCC rules, you're allowed to operate on the air as soon as the FCC has issued you a callsign and it's posted in the database. You can look up new callsigns at FCC Universal Licensing System and select Amateur and search as below. Or you can go directly to this URL and enter your surname, state or ZIP in the Licensee section to search for your new callsign. The FCC also has a toll-free license status phone number - (800) 322-1117. You can call this number between 6 AM and 2:30 PM weekdays MT.

Do You Need Forms?

We use NCVEC Form 605 for applicants at the VE session. If you would like to fill this form out ahead of time you can get it from the ARRL web site. For renewals/modifications, you will likely want to do those online through the FCC License Manager, using your FRN (FCC Registration Number) and password.
Can't Make it to Our Test Session?
The Colorado Ham Radio web page has more information about test sessions in other parts of the state. You can also find out about testing nationwide by visiting the ARRL web site. For your friends that don't have web access, have them call the 24-hour Mile High VE Team Testing Hotline at (303) 360-7293.[code]

Colorado Springs - Kenwood TS-830s/80m OCF/R-5

Ham License : General
Ham Interests : DX, CW and all digital modes, boat anchors and homebrew, QRP, contesting, satellites, and emergency/community services
Job/hobbies : Mountaineering, Woodworking, Computers, Amateur Radio, SCUBA, Flying, photography

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum